1. Where was the first race track located
a) between Bank Street and Bronson Avenue and north of the Rideau Canal.
b) The present Rideau-Carleton Raceway was the first racetrack.
c) Near the intersection of Montreal Road and Shefford Road
c) Near the intersection of River Road and MacArthur Road
2. Where are the Bytown Bridges located?
a) at Hog's Back
b) at Green Island near Rideau Falls
c) an early name for Hurdman's Bridge
d) the official name of the St. Patrick Street Bridge.
3. Thomas McKay was one of Gloucester's most famous residents.
Which of the following was he not involved in founding or building?
a) Hog's Back Locks
b) Beechwood Cemetery
c) The original Union Bridge near Chaudiere Falls
d) The Ottawa Locks adjacent to Parliament Hill
e) Rideau Hall
f) The Commissariat, the oldest surviving building in Ottawa and
now the Bytown Museum
g) Hartwell Locks
h) Colonel John By's residence
4. Vanier was once known as Janeville. Who is Janeville
a) The daughter of Donald MacArthur
b) The wife of Charles Cummings
c) The daughter of Thomas McKay
d) The wife of Donald MacArthur
5. Which of the following locations was not a tollgate?
a) Billings Bridge
b) Montreal Road at Green's Creek
c) Montreal Road at St. Laurent Blvd.
d) Bank Street at Conroy Rd.
e) Smyth Road at Russell Road
6. At one point, consideration was given to relocate the
St. Patrick Bridge. Where were they going to relocate it to?
a) to connect Smyth Road with Main Street.
b) to replace the wooden Billings Bridge
c) to become Hurdman's Bridge
d) to cross the Rideau River at Bronson Avenue.
7. Which of the following churches is the oldest church
building in the former Gloucester Township and still standing?
a) St. Bartholomew's Anglican Church, New Edinburgh
b) St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Orleans
c) Our Lady of Visitation Roman Catholic Church, South Gloucester.
d) St. James' Anglican Church, Leitrim
e) South Gloucester United Church
8. Which bridge that linked Ottawa and Gloucester was not
built to accomodate streetcars?
a) Hurdman's Bridge
b) Cummings Bridge
c) Billings Bridge
d) St. Patrick Street Bridge
9. What was one of the names of the railway that connected
Carlsbad Springs to Ottawa?
a) The Ottawa and Morrisburgh Railway
b) The Canadian Northern Railway
c) The Canadian Pacific Railway
d) The Canada Atlantic Railway
e) The New York Central Railway
10. Many early roads were known as 'corduroy' roads. What
did that mean?
a) This referred to roads that passed textile mills.
b) This was a type of road made of crushed stone named after Sir
c ) Early mud roads that had regular ruts during the dry season
resembling corduroy cloth.
d) Roads built with logs, which somewhat
resembled corduroy cloth.
11. What well known current location was the site of the
first Gloucester town meeting?
a) Rideau Hall
b) Billings Bridge
c) 24 Sussex Drive
d) MacDonald-Cartier International Airport
12. Which name was never used for Bank Street in Gloucester?
a) Esther Street
b) King's Highway 31
c) Prescott Road
d) Metcalfe Road
e) Ottawa and Gloucester Road
13. Which church was blown down in a storm shortly after
it was built?
a)Leitrim Methodist Church
b)St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Church, Billings Bridge
c)Billings Bridge Methodist Church
d)St. Thomas the Apostle Anglican Church, Ellwood
14. When Ottawa closed its Lowertown cemeteries, which
of the following Gloucester cemeteries were opened?
a) The United Jewish Cemetery
b) Beechwood Cemetery
c) Notre Dame Cemetery
d) all of the above
15. Which of the following community names is not associated
b) Village of Gloucester
f) Cummings Bridge
16. When the Rideau Centre was being built, where in Gloucester
was the excavation material dumped?
a) one of the Quarries along Montreal Road
b) one of the sand pits near Rideau-Carleton Raceway
c) at MacDonald-Cartier International Airport
d) near the Mer Bleue
17. A subscription was started in the early days in order
to build the first Billings Bridge. Which of the following men were
not on the subscription list?
a) George Sparks
b) Hugh McKenna
c) Thomas Doxey
d) Braddish Billings
e) William Smyth
18. Which Prime Minister is said to have visited the mineral
springs and hotel at Carlsbad?
a) Sir Robert Borden
b) Sir Wilfred Laurier
c) Sir Alexander MacKenzie
d) Sir John A. MacDonald
19. Which was the earliest subdivision to be developed
b) New Edinburgh
c) Billings Bridge
e) Rockcliffe Park
20. How many Rideau Canal locks bordered Gloucester Township?
21. Why did the first railway to reach Bytown in 1854 enter
Lowertown instead of traveling to the lumber mills at Chaudiere
a) The railway was designed to serve Ottawa's first population centre,
b) Ottawa's first industry was located at Rideau Falls
c) Thomas McKay, a resident of neighbouring New Edinburgh was a
major investor in the project.
d) There had been a major dispute between Thomas McKay and the Wright
family concerning the terminus of the railway.
e) The railway predated the lumber industry at Chaudiere Falls
22. Many Rideau River bridges were named after persons.
Associate the bridge name with the person's given name.
|a) Cummings Bridge
|b) Hurdman's Bridge
|c) Dunbar Bridge
||c) The Earl of
|d) Billings Bridge
||d) William Henry and Robert
|e) Minto Bridge
23. Where was the last Gloucester City Hall located?
a) Telesat Road
b) Bank Street at Leitrim
c) Ogilvie Road
d) Blair Road
24. How many different bridges were situated at Hurdman's
25. When was Bank Street south first paved through Gloucester?
26. Which location was never used to host the Gloucester
a) Earl Armstrong Arena
b) near Billings Bridge
C) Fred Barrett Arena
d) Rideau-Carleton Raceway
27. Which bridge was secretly and
temporarily renamed Bingham's Bridge to honour an Ottawa alderman?
a) Billings Bridge
b) Dunbar Bridge
c) Hurdman's Bridge
d) Cummings Bridge
28. How many Drive-In Movie Theatres
existed in Gloucester?
29. Jeanne d'Arc Boulevard is a major
street in Orleans. Does this street name and the community name
have the same origins?
30. Which of the following Gloucester
mansions were never owned by Thomas McKay's family?
a) The Castle
d) Rockcliffe Manor House
The Gloucester Quiz answers are here